Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 24 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 50 countries, our 8,300 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
The Baby Friendly Spaces is a model of intervention for a holistic program to support pregnant, lactating women and their children in emergency situations.
The Baby Friendly Spaces objectives are:
• Prevent the increase of malnutrition, morbidity and mortality rates
• Help the family to adapt care practices to the emergency and post-emergency context
• Improve the well-being of pregnant women, infants, young children and their mothers/caregivers, taking into account life experiences, past and present difficulties
• Provide a safe and private space for pregnant, lactating women and their infants
• Help families to facilitate child development and survival
• Prevent or reduce the negative effects of unsolicited and unmonitored distributions of breast milk substitutes
• Provide appropriate and sustainable solutions for infants for whom breastfeeding is not an option
Therefore, the Baby Friendly Space’s main objective and line is to take care of the mother/caregiver in order to support her/him to take care of the child/infant.
Baby Friendly Spaces do not only focus on breastfeeding and the child. The goal of the BFS is a holistic psychosocial program that aims at providing comprehensive support to children and their caregivers who are facing emergency situations.
KEEP UP WITH THE ACTION
Join our community of supporters passionate about ending world hunger.