FOR FOOD. AGAINST HUNGER AND MALNUTRITION.
FOR CLEAN WATER. AGAINST KILLER DISEASES.
FOR FREEDOM FROM HUNGER. FOR EVERYONE. FOR GOOD.
FOR ACTION. AGAINST HUNGER.
For almost 40 years, across nearly 50 countries, we have led the global fight against hunger. We save the lives of children and their families. We are there for them before and after disaster strikes. We enable people to provide for themselves, see their children grow up strong, and for whole communities to prosper. We constantly search for more effective solutions, while sharing our knowledge and expertise with the world. We push for long-term change. We will never give up. Until the world is free from hunger.
- Lifesaving impact in nearly 50 countries
- 8,000+ field staff assisting more than 20 million people
- Almost 40 years of expertise responding to emergencies caused by conflict, natural disasters and food crises
Our global efforts save hundreds of thousands of lives each year, but millions of undernourished children remain in need of lifesaving treatment.
Why Our Work Matters
About 815 million people go to bed hungry every night, and one in three children in low- and middle-income countries suffers from chronic undernutrition. Nearly half of all child deaths worldwide are from causes related to undernutrition, even though it is:
- PREDICTABLE: We know where and when to expect acute undernutrition
- PREVENTABLE: We know how to help children stay healthy
- TREATABLE: Community-based outpatient programs and therapeutic ready-to-use foods can help save millions, and just $45 can provide a child with lifesaving treatment
We know how to provide lifesaving treatment to undernourished children when we can reach them. Learn more about world hunger.
Where Your Money Goes
We dedicate as much of our funding as possible to our lifesaving humanitarian programs.
We spend $0.93 of every donated dollar on program activities (learn more).
We’re Highly Rated
You can trust Action Against Hunger. Here’s why:
- Highest four-star rating from Charity Navigator, thirteen years in a row
- Listed as an “A”-rated organization by CharityWatch
- We're accountable, meeting all 20 Better Business Bureau standards
- Earned Guidestar's Platinum Participant Seal for our commitment to transparency
- Awarded the “Best in America” seal by the Independent Charities of America
What Others Are Saying
Don’t take it from us: here’s what others have to say of our work:
"One reason I emphasize malnutrition is that almost one-fourth of children worldwide are physically stunted from malnutrition. We see the physical impairment, but what we can’t see is the mental stunting as well, the cognitive impairments that will hold a person back — and a country back — for decades afterward. Groups like Action Against Hunger aren’t just helping kids get a full tummy, but are also laying the groundwork for a strong adulthood."
– Nicholas Kristof, The New York Times, "How to Make the World a Better Place", 2018
“Action Against Hunger is a NGO that is action oriented. I can truthfully say that they deliver services to those in need and are very present on the ground. They make lasting positive change in the lives of people. I worked for them in four countries and have a good understanding of how they work.”
– Holimata, Great Nonprofits Review
“Action Against Hunger is in war-torn countries that many fear to tread. They are technical people… that forgo the comforts of modern life to assist local populations and refugees at the most fundamental level in the most dangerous locales. They provide nutrition, healthcare, sanitation, and food sustainability. They train populations to be self-sufficient. Although these dedicated men and women want to eliminate the need for their services, humanity is not willing and forces them to witness the most heinous actions.”
– President Nelson Mandela, Recipient, Action Against Hunger Humanitarian Prize 2004
“As a field worker and a partner... I recommend Action Against Hunger as an effective and important organization. Through their integrated approach and expertise in nutrition, food security and water, sanitation and hygiene they are saving lives and improving them for years to come in some of the poorest parts of the planet.”
– Water Advocate, Great Nonprofits Review, Dec. 8, 2011
“Action Against Hunger—the title speaks for itself. This is a remarkable organization with a staff of energetic, enthusiastic and deeply committed people who are determined to make a difference to the lives of thousands of people. There are millions who do not have access to clean water, food, health services or education. They are condemned to a grinding life of poverty with no choices. Action Against Hunger is changing this. Their training programs are improving the quality of life and health and, above all, bringing hope to thousands in underdeveloped countries. I commend them for their outstanding work and welcome the opportunity to express my support.”
– Desmond Tutu, Archbishop Emeritus, Recipient, Action Against Hunger Humanitarian Prize 2006
“I’ve been covering humanitarian crises since the early 1990s and have often been impressed by the work of Action Against Hunger. They are among the first to respond when tragedies unfold, and they work to ensure that communities have a fighting chance to get back on their feet... The nightly news can often seem overwhelming, but it’s important to remember there are effective ways to fight hunger and overcome poverty, and along with groups like Action Against Hunger, you can become part of the solution.”
– Anderson Cooper, Journalist, CNN
Go deeper and learn more about our work:
- International Network: Our history, values, and global reach.
- Leadership: Meet our executive team, board, and advisory members.
- Partners: Our governmental, institutional, and corporate partners.
- Financials: View our latest audited financials.
- Employment: Ready to work with us? View our job opportunities.