Recognized as a leader in the fight against malnutrition, Action Against Hunger saves the lives of malnourished children while providing communities with access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger. With more than 35 years of expertise in emergency situations of conflict, natural disaster, and chronic food insecurity, Action Against Hunger runs life-saving programs in over 45 countries.
Our 6,500+ professionals work to carry out innovative programs in nutrition, food security & livelihoods, and water, sanitation, & hygiene. Action Against Hunger's humanitarian programs directly assist over seven million people each year, along with countless others, through capacity building programs in collaboration with government ministries. Committed to principled humanitarian action, Action Against Hunger restores dignity, self-sufficiency, and independence to vulnerable populations around the world.
An International Humanitarian Organization
Our comprehensive solutions to global hunger are context-specific, needs-based, and customized through direct community participation. While the programs we run may vary from one country to the next, they all share this defining set of characteristics:
- Comprehensive Approach: We integrate activities in emergency nutrition, longer-term food security, and water, sanitation & hygiene. To tackle the underlying causes of hunger, we address a range of social, organizational, technical, and resource concerns essential to a community’s well-being.
- Lasting Solutions: We work to ensure that our programs can be sustained without us. By integrating our programs with local and national systems, we transform effective, short-term interventions into sustainable, long-term solutions.
- Community-Centered: A community-centered approach is central to building local capacity to manage and maintain our programs. Through training, technical workshops, and mentoring, Action Against Hunger builds local capacity and cultivates community know-how.
- Independent & Impartial: As a humanitarian agency we are apolitical. But when it comes to human suffering, we are not neutral: We strive to deliver effective humanitarian assistance wherever it’s most needed.
- Full Accountability & Transparency: We directly oversee the implementation of our programs, requiring full access to the communities we assist. We are committed to a policy of transparency and disclosure by ensuring that key financial information is publicly available and that our programs undergo external impact evaluations.
- Efficient & Cost-Effective: We consistently receive top marks from rating agencies like the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance, Charity Navigator (their highest 4-star rating), the American Institute for Philanthropy (an “A” rating), the Independent Charities of America (as a “Best in America” nonprofit), and Guidestar.
See our International Charter of Independence, Neutrality, Non-Discrimination, Free and Direct Access to Victims, Professionalism, and Transparency.
Child Protection Policy
It is both a fundamental belief and duty of the organization to focus on the prevention of child abuse and exploitation, while also advocating child protection in all that we do.
Action Against Hunger is an international humanitarian organization committed to ending world hunger