Internships are unpaid but we cover lunch expenses and transit fare.
We welcome international applicants. However, we cannot assist international interns with finding housing or acquiring visas. Please note: we do not offer field-based internships.
Your Rights as an Intern
- Receive assistance in finding the ideal projects for you.
- Receive a description of responsibilities.
- Receive adequate training and preparation necessary for satisfactory voluntary performance of your duties as assigned.
- Receive advice, directions and technical support when needed.
- Receive recognition for your contributions.
- Receive direction and feedback from a volunteer coordinator.
- Receive confidential, thoughtful evaluations so that you can continually improve your performance.
- Be able to freely discuss problems, ask questions, or make suggestions.
Your Responsibilities as an Intern
- Be open and honest regarding your goals and skills.
- Accept the guidance and decisions of your volunteer coordinator.
- Understand the function of the paid staff, maintain a smooth professional relationship with them and stay within the bounds of the volunteer responsibilities description.
- Maintain the dignity and integrity of ACF with the public.
- Comply with any training, dress code, attendance, and health and safety requirements of ACF.
- Respect confidentiality.
- Discuss satisfactions, dissatisfactions, and suggestions for upgrading or changing volunteer assignments.
- Be punctual, and notify your volunteer coordinator of absences as far in advance as possible.
- Meet the minimum time commitment for your chosen program area.
- Give the Human Resources Department at least two weeks notice prior to the time you leave the program.
- ACF requires a minimum commitment of three months for full-time interns/volunteers and 6 months for part-time interns/volunteers.
- For mutual effectiveness, interns usually commit a minimum of 20 hrs/wk, with flexible schedules.
- All interns must present paperwork from their school indicating that they are in the process of obtaining a degree and their work at ACF is an integral part of their academic program.
- All volunteers and interns must complete the Acknowledgment Form verifying that they have received a copy of the Volunteer Handbook and that they understand that their involvement with ACF is limited to volunteer, and not employment, status.
Internships are unpaid, but lunch and transit expenses are reimbursed. ACF covers lunch expenses up to $10/day ($15/day for international interns) for a full day in the office, and a monthly subway card for those who assist us at least 4 days per week.