Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Project Manager
The Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Program Manager (PM) is responsible for running and supervising water, sanitation and hygiene programs at all stages of the project management cycle. He/she is also responsible for accomplishing the program objectives and outcomes within the contextual constraints. The PM ensures the overall success of the program by making sure the WASH team completes the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; and that the program is completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
Further objectives for the WASH PM concern the capacity building and mentoring of staff; humanitarian needs identification through monitoring of the evolving situation; context analysis to contribute to the development of future programs; and internal coordination to reinforce AAH’s integrated approach. Depending on the size and organizational structure of the mission, the WASH program manager reports to either the WASH Coordinator, Field Coordinator or Country Director.
- Develop a program plan, ensure its smooth implementation, and manage the team’s performance of project tasks and activities that may include, but are not limited to:
- Construction or rehabilitation of water networks, gravity flow systems, wells or boreholes.
- Implementation of latrines or other sanitation facilities.
- Hygiene promotion and education.
- Creation and training of management structures.
- Cholera prevention campaigns.
- Water treatment.
- Water trucking and emergency water supply.
- Water provision for irrigation.
- Carrying out of assessments and post-implementation monitoring.
- Geophysical analysis.
- Capacity building of partners.
- Monitoring of sub-contractor work.
- Ensure appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH hardware according to technical standards, as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipment.
- Develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training.
- Manage the WASH team human resources and provide technical support, training and capacity building.
- Manage the program budget through the passing of timely orders, the preparation of monthly forecasts and the monitoring of expenditure.
- Track the progress of activities, ensure the collecting of program indicators and provide on-time internal status reports and external donor reports.
- Identify and monitor risks, constraints or escalating issues, and inform the hierarchy accordingly.
- Ensure that all data and information is updated, well organized and easily accessible; and that lessons learnt and best practice are capitalized.
- Coordinate with other technical departments to ensure a common approach, synergy and sharing of information<./li>
- Represent Action Against Hunger externally and collaborate/coordinate with local authorities, counterparts, partners and stakeholders.
- Analyze and report on the evolving humanitarian needs and provide clear recommendations for interventions.
- Develop appropriate targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
- Participate in the development of new proposals and the Action Against Hunger annual country strategy.
- Degree in WASH related studies (engineering, public health, geology, etc.)
- Further qualifications in engineering in development related contexts preferred.
- Working knowledge of at least English or French necessary, preferably both.
- Familiarity with GIS, data analysis software and water modeling software preferred.
- Professional, motivated, open, creative,, mature, responsible, flexible, culturally sensitive.
- Two years relevant work experience essential.
- Previous overseas experience essential.
- Experience in managing teams essential.
Help Us Save Lives
Help us reach our 2014 lifesaving goals by making a tax-deductible gift. We are a top rated nonprofit, consistently ranked in the top 2% for efficiency.