The Program Logistician is assigned to provide logistics support to the Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, or Wash program when the volume of activity is large. The Program Logistician is responsible for all logistics activities pertaining to the respective program and ensures smooth implementation of and adherence to logistic and security procedures during the program implementation. The Program Logistician is in charge of building capacity of local logistics staff supporting the program. Excellent communication and coordination between the Program Logistician, Log/Admin, and relevant Program Manager on one or more bases are central for this role. Typically, the Program Logistician reports to Log Coordinator and to the relevant Technical Coordinator.
Management and Coordination
Depending on the context and program needs, the Program Logistician is in charge of the set up, training, and management of the logistics team assigned to support the program activities. To avoid overlapping and gaps with Log / Admin and Program Manager, the Program Logistician must clearly coordinate and communicate with them. The Program Logistician ensures that ACF Logistics procedures and respective donor regulations applicable to the implemented project are closely followed.
While the exact responsibilities may vary significantly, the Program Logistician is typically in charge of organizing and supporting the logistics of program activities, such as food distribution, provision of water/sanitation services, rehabilitation, and construction. Program Logistician ensures the proper functioning of supply chain including program procurement planning, purchasing of goods and services, their transport and storage, supervises the organization, planning, and maintenance of the fleet, evaluates/reports the need and ensures the proper use of ACF equipment, assesses and ensures the functioning of the means of communication appropriate for the program.
The Program Logistician prepares or centralizes the logistics reports of the programmes he/she supports in accordance with ACF Logistics procedures and donor regulations applicable to the implemented program.
The Program Logistician assesses, monitors, reports the security situation, and participates in the development of the security plan of the base together with the Head of Base. The Program Logistician ensures that security procedures are followed on all stages of his/her involvement to the program.
The Program Logistician must be aware of logistics-related actors, services, and opportunities in the program location. Though not central to Program Logistician’s responsibility, she/he may have to represent ACF/coordinate with the relevant authorities in locations where program activities take place.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent in technical studies.
- Substantial knowledge of standard logistics procedures and practices required.
- Some knowledge of financial and HR procedures expected.
- Good level of technical skills in mechanics / IT / Communications / construction or other (depending on the specific program) expected.
- Good communication and representative skills.
- Ability to multitask and deal with stressful situations.
- Ability to adapt within the working environment.
- Ability to work in a team setting.
- Second language skills highly recommended and for some missions required.
- At least 2 years previous field experience in a relief NGO, ideally in a similar role.
- Minimum of one year of previous experience in an NGO in managerial position.
- Previous experience in security management.