Head of Base
The Log/Admin (Head of Base) is responsible for coordinating, consolidating, and ensuring smooth implementation of and adherence to logistic, human resource, administration and security procedures and provides operational support to the Nutrition / Food Security / Water and Sanitation programs on an ACF base in ACF mission. The HoB is in charge of building the capacity of the local support team in the base. Depending on size and structure of the mission, the Head of Base is reporting to Log Coordinator/Admin Coordinator or Head of Mission.
Depending on the context and program needs, the Head of Base is in charge of managing the opening, closing and/or regular running of the base including management of all or part of support staff, program support activities, administration, and security of the base as well as coordination with program staff on the base level. The Head of Base ensures that ACF procedures and donor regulations applicable to projects implemented on the base in regards to logistics, security, HR, and administration are closely followed.
While the context may vary, the Head of Base is typically in charge of managing the proper set up / rehabilitation / running of base premises (office / guest house), ensures the proper functioning of supply chain including procurement planning, purchasing of goods and services, their transport and storage, supervises the organization, planning, and maintenance of the fleet, evaluates/reports the need and ensures the proper use of ACF equipment, assesses and ensures the functioning of the means of communication appropriate for the ACF base.
Administration/ Human Resources
The Head of Base is responsible for set up and implementation of standard ACF Administration. The HoB ensures the proper management of finances on the base (under the supervision of Admin Coordinator) including planning, authorization of expenses, and reporting. The Head of Base also ensures the management of Human Resources in accordance with the ACF guidelines and the legal requirements in the host country.
Head of Base is responsible for the security on the base including staff, premises, as well as security of ACF materials and assets. The HoB assesses, monitors and reports the security situation and develops security procedures relevant to the context.
Head of Base represents the organization at the local / regional level including general meetings with humanitarian actors, local authorities, protocol meetings, security meetings, as well as sector program meetings when requested by the mission coordination. The HOB manages the visit of donors representatives / HQ visitors / other stakeholders whenever requested.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent in technical studies.
- Substantial knowledge of standard logistics procedures and practices required.
- Some knowledge of financial and HR procedures expected.
- Good level of technical skills in mechanics / IT/ Communications / construction or other desired.
- Good communication and representative skills.
- Ability to multitask and deal with stressful situations.
- Ability to adapt within the working environment.
- Ability to work in a team setting.
- Second language skills highly recommended and for some missions, required.
- At least 2 years previous field experience in a relief NGO, ideally in a similar role.
- Minimum of one year of previous experience in an NGO in managerial position.
- Previous experience in security management.