Recognized as a leader in the fight against malnutrition, Action Against Hunger | ACF International saves the lives of malnourished children while providing communities with access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger. With 30 years of expertise in emergency situations of conflict, natural disaster, and chronic food insecurity, ACF runs life-saving programs in some 40 countries benefiting five million people each year.
ACF's 4,600+ professionals work in over 40 countries to carry out innovative, life-saving programs in nutrition, food security & livelihoods, and water, sanitation, & hygiene. ACF’s humanitarian programs directly assist some five million people each year, along with countless others through capacity building programs in collaboration with government ministries. Committed to principled humanitarian action, ACF restores dignity, self-sufficiency, and independence to vulnerable populations around the world.
A Global Humanitarian Organization
Our comprehensive solutions to global hunger are context-specific, needs-based, and customized through direct community participation. While the programs we run may vary from one country to the next, they all share this defining set of characteristics:
- Comprehensive Approach: ACF integrates activities in emergency nutrition, longer-term food security, and water, sanitation & hygiene. To tackle the underlying causes of hunger, we address a range of social, organizational, technical, and resource concerns essential to a community’s well-being.
- Lasting Solutions: ACF works to ensure that our programs can be sustained without us. By integrating our programs with local and national systems, we transform effective, short-term interventions into sustainable, long-term solutions.
- Community-Centered: A community-centered approach is central to building local capacity to manage and maintain our programs. Through training, technical workshops, and mentoring, Action Against Hunger builds local capacity and cultivates community know-how.
- Independent & Impartial: As a humanitarian agency we are apolitical. But when it comes to human suffering, we are not neutral: We strive to deliver effective humanitarian assistance wherever it’s most needed.
- Full Accountability & Transparency: We directly oversee the implementation of our programs, requiring full access to the communities we assist. We are committed to a policy of transparency and disclosure by ensuring that key financial information is publicly available and that our programs undergo external impact evaluations.
- Efficient & Cost-Effective: We consistently receive top marks from rating agencies like the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance, Charity Navigator (their highest 4-star rating), the American Institute for Philanthropy (an “A” rating), the Independent Charities of America (as a “Best in America” nonprofit), and Guidestar.
See our International Charter of Independence, Neutrality, Non-Discrimination, Free and Direct Access to Victims, Professionalism, and Transparency.
Child Protection Policy
It is both a fundamental belief and duty of the organization to focus on the prevention of child abuse and exploitation, while also advocating child protection in all that we do. View the ACF International Child Protection Policy.
Join thousands of Action Against Hunger supporters and subscribe now to our monthly newsletter and alerts.
Action Against Hunger is a top nonprofit as rated by BBB, Charity Navigator, and CharityWatch. Support our lifesaving work by making a monthly donation.
Work with Us
Field & U.S. headquarters positions are available now.